1. Guest, Read the rules. The Rules are simple. Don't spam. Be nice to the people here. Gamez Forums is a place where links are allowed, as long as they are related to the content of the thread.

Digital or disk copy for video games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Ava, Feb 2, 2015.

DO you buy digital or disk copy of games?

1. disk

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. digital

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Ava

Ava Well-Known Gamer

So just a poll. Are people buying the actual disk or are they buying the digital copy of games? I personally haven't bought the actual disk of any game except when the X1 first came out, unless i want to try it used at gamestop or something first then purchase the digital after i trade it back in.

3. Jasonsib

Jasonsib Well-Known Gamer Staff Member

XBOX:
    Ops ignition
    STEAM:
    JASONSIB21
    I prefer disc copy because i like to collect games on my shelf , and i love the artwork on the front covers.

Lincoln likes this.
  4. Lincoln

Lincoln Active Gamer

PSN:
    Lionfantasma
    I prefer disc copy too, because I am a gamer much as a collector.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Jasonsib likes this.
  5. Borin

Borin Gamer

I prefer buying disk because I don't want to purchase a game and it suck and be force to keep it.

6. DeltaFrAnt

DeltaFrAnt High Warlord Staff Member

Physical support ftw.

Like I said in another post, I love to have my box on my shelf <3

But I can't say no on steam sale ..

Jasonsib and Borin like this.
  7. RichardF

RichardF Gamer

I only own 3 games for my Xbox and 2 of them are physical copies only because I used gift cards to purchase them but Im going digital for the most part.

8. EmbraceDeath

EmbraceDeath New Gamer

Disk.... digital takes to long to download. ugh... I know it's my Internet connection which is decent but not super fast. I usually get btw 8-10 on speed but also have 4-5 if not more cpus, phones,ps, and x360 on it too. Lol.

9. Jerr

Jerr New Gamer

The Main reason I'm going Digital now is because, the systems are making us install the game no matter what why should i bother finding the disc to play the game, plus i have 2 xbox ones it's just easier than buying to copies as well.

DeltaFrAnt likes this.
  10. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Gamer

I like buying the digital, these days the only time I buy the disc is when GameStop has a better preorder bonus, or I'm uncertain about the game and want to be able to trade it back.

11. Dorkus Prime

Dorkus Prime Well-Known Gamer Staff Member

Home Page:
    XBOX:
    Dorkus Prime
    STEAM:
    DirkDaggerHand
    I get it on what ever I can get it on first. I love having Disk Copies of games, and I enjoy Physical Pre-order content, so I end up with a lot of Disk. But at the same time Steam and XBL sales are the best.

DeltaFrAnt and Trav34 like this.
  12. Trav34

Trav34 New Gamer

I do both. Disc for games I'm not 100% on and digital for ones I know I'll be keeping, ex. Destiny is digital and Dying Light disc. That way I can trade it in if I end up not liking it.

13. fusrodah

fusrodah New Gamer

When it's a game I know I'm going to like, I go for disc. But if it's cheaper to download, I'll do that.

For PC games, either is good. For example, I just pre-ordered a Sims 4 expansion pack as a download because it is more convenient. With consoles, discs are more convenient to share with relatives or friends, etc.

14. SuckIt

SuckIt New Gamer

I'm starting to lean toward digital even though it goes against everything I am. I am used to trading games in after a while. Now that doesn't happen like it did in the past. My next two purchases will more than likely be digital. I hate discs because they are fragile , but I like trading things in. Its a struggle lol

15. Jeronimo

Jeronimo Gamer

For me, I haven't bought physical games in a while. The last game I bought physical was assassins creed unity. The last digital game I bought was GTA v (on sale in January) although my digital collection is about twice the size of my physical collection so that should say a lot about my preference.

16. Tropicoyyh

Tropicoyyh New Gamer

Nooooooo....
    I keep my disc copies. They come in handy.

Plus, I'm not entirely trusting of digital games being completely owned. I am weary about Microsoft (or PlayStation, for that matter) have the ability to *take back* your digital games (maybe by revoking the license) if one was to get tossed off of the internet network. (Banned.)

I don't do stupid stuff, so that isn't the issue. But I have heard too many times before about random people getting banned (maybe by mistake) for no reason.

I'd rather not take any chances on my most important games.

17. Phil

Phil New Gamer

A few issues...

ONE - digital games are expensive and you can't resell. There is ZERO reason for selling a digital game at more than a retail. If digital games were £25 then people would buy them and the second hand market would die.

TWO - actually trading in games is VERY good for the companies are they allow people on limited income to buy new games. It also allows me to try a game by a developer or in a series I don't know. If I like it cheap then I'll probably buy their next game full price.

THREE - Pricing is wrong. You pay £50 for a 200 hour game or £50 for a 4 hour game. If the order is short, price it at £25. More people will buy it, more sales etc less of a trade in market.

18. Keith

Keith New Gamer

One - Digit are the same price as retail in Ireland day one and you can wait for the game to go on sale. With a little patience.

Two - truly that helps places like gamestop and Game so much more. That is how they make their huge profits. I Don't believe the ends justifies the means.

Three - If you simply decide an amount you are think a game is worth and then just wait for it to go on sale at the price or lower. This is no longer a problem.

19. Phil

Phil New Gamer

Let me run you a scenario. I only have £20 of pocket money. I want to buy the Order but it's £50. So I can't. That's one sale they not get until it goes on half price or receded by which time the game maybe consider a flop.

Or I can trade in an older game get £30, but The Order at release. They get a release day sale FAR more important than one months down the line.

ONLY possible as I traded in games.

As for your other points, the UK is more expensive and even more so even if it's the same price it should be cheaper. MUCH cheaper. Also when I have a few digital games I've played them wheat then? I just delete it. When did a game become something that was disposable like that?

Final point - yeah I could. But like I said most market be it games, cinema or DVD sales are based mostly on the first few weeks charted positions. So sales month after the fact may not help a developer stay afloat or a game get a sequel...

20. Joe

Joe New Gamer

Lol. Perspective dude. The price of games isn't really based on how long they are. It's based on the costs of development and distribution, the cost of the industry and the opportunity in the market (ie how much people can pay). That's just business. If they were going to make a game which was longer it would have been a different game. They would have had to spend less money making it, which would have affected quality as they'd have had less time to spend on making the foundation of the game. Or they would have had to make the game more expensive. Or they would have had to cut their profit margin. I don't know exactly what the profit margins are on games but I know it's pretty crappy these days for AAA. Especially for brand new AAA games. Think of all of the things they've had to develop from scratch to make that gorgeous game. Cutting profit margins is a dangerous game in business. Once the general profit margin in the industry drops, it's very difficult to bring it up again and make money. That's my view anyway. In any case, I'm not going to worry much about the length of the game.

21. Stuart

Stuart New Gamer

So does anyone actually download new release games they seem sooo expensive compared to disc copies?

I got Forza horizon for £29.95 delivered, plus £10 off as I bought s controller earlier in the month and was able to trade in some old 360 games via post for £11, and it takes up less space on my hard drive, when I'm done I can send it back and get Prob around £15 back off another game, what's the incentive for me to pay £40-£50 for a digital copy??