1. Guest, Read the rules. The Rules are simple. Don't spam. Be nice to the people here. Gamez Forums is a place where links are allowed, as long as they are related to the content of the thread.

Can games be too long

Discussion in 'Gaming Debates' started by JamesMartin, Feb 20, 2015.

1. JamesMartin

JamesMartin New Gamer

Can games be to long? I have asked myself this the past few days. I class myself as a casual gamer due to family and work commitments. At present I play around 6-8 hours a week broke into 3-4 sessions late at night. I am currently playing Dragon Age and at the rate I am playing I should be done about June time!!! That's not taking into account other games I might dip into for a change. So are these games aimed at the "hardcore" gamer with time on his/her hands? I would not be able to play WoW or games similar just threw choice and time restraints. So when looking at games now I look for shorter campaigns 8-12 hours so I don't get burned out playing for months at a time on the same game and can polish it off in a month or so.

3. StevenB

StevenB New Gamer

I think games can be too long, far too many games two thirds in you've seen all the different enemy types, all the different ways you can interact with them, and the different ways you can interact with the enviroment and its sometimes just repeated to pad out the game to a length people expect from a certian type of game or genre.

4. JaysonToone

JaysonToone Gamer

I think it all boils down to how you choose to play the games you have, obviously it's difficult playing something like dragon age when you're an adult and have other commitments, what I find works for me, is short intensive bursts, if I don't have the time to marathon a game, I play it for a few hours every day, that way I don't forget too much of what's going on story wise and still have time for other things.

I completed the story of dragon age in around 35 - 40 hours, playing a couple hours a day, you could do that in a fortnight I'd wager, with games like that I tend to stick in one area, complete it and then take a break, that way every area is like a fresh chapter.

5. KevinTarne

KevinTarne Gamer

The problem is the price point. Developers feel they need to pad out the content to justify it to the consumer. I really hope they start having varying price points rather than the one fixed release price. I would love to see a £30/£40/£50 price pointset by the publisher and based on what they feel the content is worth. No more shoved in multiplayer that no one plays. To be fair though I have seen a few Xbox 360 games coming out at lower price points towards the end of this generation. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel only cost me £30 to preorder at Game.

6. StevenB

StevenB New Gamer

I dont feel the length of a game should dictate the price though. A 300 page novel wouldn't cost less than a 600 page novel. I think developers should be free to create games as works of art true to their vision and not be bound by the pre conceived notion that longer is better or that a game in this genre should be this long.

7. JaysonToone

JaysonToone Gamer

I don't think that'll work. I mean the devs are always going to want the maximum return on their games, the only reason they drop prices on new games towards the end of the console cycle is to shift copies off the shelves, I don't think any Dev would price their game at a lower cost Just because it's not as long as another, that's like the last of us, being cheaper because it's not as long as Dragon age.

8. StevenB

StevenB New Gamer

Plus the lower price point would indicate to some that its a lesser products than a game at a higher price point.

9. JohnBrenton

JohnBrenton New Gamer

I think so yes, just as a movies and other media. That does not mean a game can't be extremly long and still be a great game. Just that there are limits to everything.

10. KevinTarne

KevinTarne Gamer

While you have great points I still think this is the reason developers stick in a lot of filler and add game modes that no one plays to add "Value". Personally a lower price point to me would not indicate quality. I would judge the game on articles and reviews before purchase. Of course developers want maximum return on their games but if they didn't spend the time adding crap to the game and just put the game out for release at a lower price point they could start developing another IP and make up the cash that way.

JaysonToone likes this.
  11. JaysonToone

JaysonToone Gamer

I think adding content to games that's considered filler is a mistake, and I agree I would like to see games being reduced in price if they didn't spend Dev time adding in the filler into it.

But counter argument, you need to consider what's filler?I mean collectables are the worst, but some people really enjoy hunting down the hidden items in the game, and removing them because the wasted Dev time could lead a reduce pricing of the end product would be a mistake, because the people that do enjoy that aspect of the content would be penalised.

And you can't even farm out the filler content as DLC, as nobody is going to pay for fetch quests or item collections, games that have day one DLC are criticised for having content on disc that becomes unlocked or Devs are labeled greedy.

I don't think there's a clear wrong or right answer to this topic, makes an interesting debate though lol.

12. KevinTarne

KevinTarne Gamer

I would like to see a poll on who really enjoys collecting hidden items in a game that have no bearing on the gameplay. In fact I may run that poll on here. My expectation is that it would be an 90/10 split against them but that's just numbers made upout of nothing lol.

For me filler is a few to many fetch quests, game modes that no one will play, i.e Tomb Raiders multiplayer and collectables that have no bearing on gameplay.

Your right of course some people may enjoy these things but if they don't contribute to the game or story what's the point in them?

13. JaysonToone

JaysonToone Gamer

I think it's down to the backlash of the mid 2000's era of games, when you'd drop £40 on a game and complete it in 5 hours. So devs started artificially extending games with filler.

Some people do enjoy the filler though and it can be a good thing if used correctly, take mass effect for example, gathering all those resources and doing all the companion quests can be considered filler, but they made a difference to who lived and who died in the ending of number 2, thus affecting the story.

Filler can be good, but devs sometimes get lazy and think adding 100 items hidden in the world is a good form of it.

14. DavidJar

DavidJar New Gamer

If I was still at school/college/uni etc then I always preferred the longer games and sunk a lot of time into them. I.e. Football manager but once you start working and have other commitments I just can't put the same amount of time into one game so games like DA are out of the question for me.

15. KevinTarne

KevinTarne Gamer

See, I don't see the Mass Effect stuff as filler because it affects the story. To me filler is when it has no bearing on the main story or adds nothing to gameplay.

16. JaysonToone

JaysonToone Gamer

I think we're all Just getting old David, I haven't got much time to play games these days, so maybe I don't notice the filler as much?

I'm actually buying a wii u for the option of playing casually for a couple of hours without a heavy commitment.

17. DeltaFrAnt

DeltaFrAnt High Warlord Staff Member

In my opinion, no.

I game can only be too long if it is repetitive.

18. JamesMartin

JamesMartin New Gamer

I not a fan of collecting stuff unless it's something that can benefit the game, spending hours searching for a hidden items just for an achievement/trophy is not cup of tea. What I
    Miss is games from old where you had something for completing the game that made a replay more enjoyable. I take Metal Gear Solid for example you done the game and were given a bandana with unlimited ammo if worn on your reply etc, even unlocking different cars in racing games so you seen the benefit. These days devs seem to be wasting these items on Pre-Order bonus DLC crap that I can't stand.

19. JaysonToone

JaysonToone Gamer

Damn right it does, David lol, and Kevin I think filler is a broad term, and not everyone is going to agree on what it is exactly, as some people will consider some things as filler and others won't.
    Take an RPG for example, grinding for XP isn't affecting the story in anyway, but if you started a new game at a maxed level, and walked through the story, I don't think you'd enjoy it, but grinding is technically filler, as it artificially extends the game play.

Look at pokemon, the objection is to catch them all and collect 8 badges, you can do that by starting in pallet town with 6 level 100 pokemon, but removing the filler in that game, removes the fun.

20. KevinTarne

KevinTarne Gamer

That's what I'm trying to get across certain filler that affects gameplay I am fine with however some of those things you mentioned could be considered game mechanics more than filler. Like you say it's very subjective.

21. Joe

Joe New Gamer

I see the appeal of the longer game, but like you I stick with 8-12 hour campaigns then move on. Especially when games have like 50 hours of filler. really wanted to pick up Dragon Age but I know I would never finish it.

: games, too long